Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Anonymous Story #6


     For me it started winter of freshman year 2011. Growing up I was always one of the bigger girls especially surrounded by so many girls who were "perfect" (something which I am still learning today is not true), and it always bothered me, and once the boy who I had liked for 6 years said I was fat and ugly I started to believe it. And My last year of middle was filled with anxiety and uncertainty and I felt like I was losing control of everything. My friends, my life, my family.
     And freshman year, I too was thrown into a life that I was so unaccustomed too. And when I felt like I was losing control or being put down by my friends I turned to binging and purging. At first it seemed so harmless and easy. But I soon learned it was not the case. So a month or two later i turned to an old friend of mine to help, and she told me just stop its not that hard and shrugged it off. She didn't understand. And so it continued and I continuously would tell myself its fine and I would be fine.
     Summer of 2012 I turned from binging and purging as a sense of comfort, to calorie counting and excessive exercise. And became addicted to website promoting Eds and thin-ness. My mother and brother have always been a bit heavy and my sister too was gaining weight. And in my family, gaining weight was a bad thin and that I shouldn't gain anything and so my summer diet went unnoticed. 
     Sophmore year came around and I was fine for a few weeks and getting better on my own. My family had no idea what was going on, and neither did my friends. But then I once again hit a low. My parents where obsessing over my brother and sister and there medical school, and my sisters small weight gain. I felt so unnoticed. And I was again turned to purging as a sense of comfort. And I learned even more how a heavy weight was so excepted in my family when my mom and brother joined weight watchers. Later in the year, I met a boy. Someone so special and close, someone I thought I could be with forever. And soon enough I opened up to him. He was confused and lost and didn't understand. but there was one thing he did understand. He wanted to help me get better. He tried so hard and all I would do is shut him out and refuse help. I was completely in denial of the whole situation. He seemed to lose faith that I could stop and so I tried harder to stop. And I could go maybe a week or two. But then I'd break down and the process would start again. And during this period of time I was called so many names like asshole, bitch, slut, ect. And it only further deteriorated the small self esteem I had left. I've occasionally turned to self harm, and would right those words in pen on my arm and stomach. That boy has since then understood it is a long hard process full of ups and downs and promised to stay with me through it all no matter what. I kept trying, and he soon began giving me the idea about getting help. I was just too scared, and still today I'm scared. But I have opened up to a few more people and those people are the ones who are helping me. 
     However, they are not the ones savings me. I am saving myselft. Even though I am still having the behaviors of Bulima, and still even though my parents and family do not know yet I am still on the verge to recovery. I've been hurt by words, felt like I have no control, and have always been afraid of gaining weight and not being loved because of it. And all these emotions have led to the decisions I've made. But now I am realising dwelling in those few moments of pain, shouldn't have to take away the enjoyment I do have like friends or activities. The pain and confusion of this ED, are not worth the future achievements life gives us. And even though I, like many others, still have behaviors of bulimia, looking for help is the greatest step anyone can have in the fight to reach recovery. And for me, opening up to a friend or parent has been my savior. Now its up to me to complete the path with them by my side. Stay strong to everyone out there who are too following this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment